Sunday, September 15, 2013

Part 10 - You Have To Believe To Begin...

I give you six unremarkable letters simply arranged in a row.  Any school child could have offered them to you just as I did.  Six simple letters, but one amazing word, one thought, one concept that can move mountains and change worlds.
One word that has changed my life.
     Let me start by asking you all to think for a moment, what does the word BELIEF mean?  I think that it means many things to many people, but, as always, let's start with the straightforward dictionary definition:
-BELIEF-
: A FEELING OF BEING SURE THAT SOMEONE OR SOMETHING EXISTS OR THAT SOMETHING IS TRUE
: A FEELING THAT SOMETHING IS GOOD, RIGHT, OR VALUABLE
: A FEELING OF TRUST IN THE WORTH OR ABILITY OF SOMEONE

     Allow me to tell you a bit about this past week and how it has inspired me for this particular posting.  I was given the honor of being asked to be one of the speakers at this week's "success stories" Weight Watchers meetings.  We also spoke about belief during the meeting and the importance of having self-belief.  I spent a good amount of time pondering over just how important this idea of self-belief was to me personally.  I came to the conclusion that without being able to believe in myself and my ability to succeed, I would not have made it this far.  In fact, in my past, I realized that my failures had come when I stopped or rather never started believing in myself.  I had allowed the seeds of doubt to blossom into a vine of destruction that would choke out any hope I had of succeeding.  This time was different some how though.  This time, not only was I succeeding in my battle for my life, I was doing so with gusto.  
 
“You have to believe. Otherwise, it will never happen."
-Neil Gaiman-

     We all have this ability to succeed through self-belief; sadly, I fear that many of us have allowed others to plant seeds of doubt.  To my benefit, I have found myself surrounded by "caretakers of encouragement" while on my journey.  These "caretakers" are people who love and care for me enough to nurture my self-belief and encourage it to grow and to produce fruits of faith and success.  If I can pass anything along to any of you that are struggling not only with obesity but also  in any trials you may have, it would be this.  Encircle yourself with your own "caretakers of encouragement", because there are still going to be those that will plant seeds of doubt and the more positive support you have on your side, the easier it becomes to weed out the doubt and nurture the belief.
      One method I have found that personally was an absolute necessity for me was attending my Weight Watchers meetings.  As I have stated before, this is not a paid advertisement for Weight Watchers, but it is my own personal testimonial.  Weight Watchers WORKS!  When I walk through those doors I don't feel like I am being judged or mocked.  There is only love, understanding, and support there.  It is a safe place full of people that want to nurture your self-belief so that it becomes a powerful tool and a cornerstone of your foundation to success.  My own personal experience has shown me that when I walk through those doors, not only do I receive support but I get to give support and help build self-belief in others as well.  

     I have been very blessed this week.  So many positive things have happened that I cannot possibly have room to give any negative events my attention.  So I say to those that want to bring negativity and doubt to my doorstep, may you find your own source of support and self-belief to guide you to your success, but allow your negativity to roll away as a tumble weed in the dessert.  At the same time I say, if you need some support I will offer you my shoulder and we can all walk on together.  
     Anybody that struggles with weight issues knows that there is cruelty out there.  Words, stares, snickers, and actions that, done by ignorance or maliciousness, can be damaging to us and hinder our success.  There was a time that I would have allowed such people to stop me, but no longer!  I have a new attitude and I look these people in the eye and say, "I am who I am. Your approval is not needed."  Those that choose to accept me for this will be blessed by my amazing wit, humor, insight, and down right AWESOMENESS!  OK OK...perhaps that was a bit far but hey.... I AM WHO I AM.... get it?  Those that can't accept me for that...it is their loss...I will go on.... lol.  As my dear friend Lyle Chipperson once said, " Tss I got buds who are light and some buds who are heavy, and some just normal size. Tss tss".  
     I found this next picture and it was so inspiring to me that I am going to print it for my "Wall Of Reminders". 

Are you going to see the meek kitten or the MAJESTIC KING OF THE JUNGLE?
I know my answer.  What about you?
     I "BELIEVE"...oh I slay me...lol..that I have said enough on this subject so let's talk some numbers shall we??  I am still working on getting more dedicated to an actual exercise program.  I need to light a fire under that particular pot and not be so inconsistent with my routine.  I can proudly report that something that has not happened in the past 20 months is currently happening.  I have PERFECT ATTENDANCE for this month at work.  I have had days where I was not feeling so good but nothing like I was when I weighed in at 674 lbs.  I fully understand that the month is only half over but guess what?  I BELIEVE IN MYSELF TO MAKE PERFECT ATTENDANCE!  Can I get an AMEN!  As promised, here comes the big number...(reggae drum roll please!!):
 POW!!
There it is kids...TRIP-QUINTS...5-5-5 or turn it around 5-5-5!
Yep that means 3 lbs. more eradicated from my gorgeous person!  TEE HEE...just funnin' ya!
The grand total is 119 lbs. and I can honestly say that I can already feel my life coming back.  I will end this week like this...thank you all for supporting me and showing me much love throughout my journey.  Take a moment to believe in yourselves this week and you will see that great things will happen when you believe in you.  Don't forget that when you reach for a hand up in life to reach down and offer one to someone struggling as well.
There is a chance that some incarnation of T-Shirts featuring "Beware The Fatypus!!!" or "Keep It CRISPY!" could be coming.  I have received some requests for some so I ask, are there others out there that would rock one of these T's advertising The Rendering?  
I am working on a few other big things relating to my journey that I will talk about more when I have more concrete details so stay tuned for that.
Remember, if you feel alone I am just a message away if you need some support.  Realize that we are not alone if we just look around.  Much love and God bless you all.  VIVE LA FAT REVOLUTION!!!  To be continued...


5 comments:

  1. Make sure your URL is on the tee-shirt. Great advertising. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully stated in every way Mike. Keep up the great work. It was nice to see you and you Dad on Saturday. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great blog!! I really look forward to reading this every week. I know that James Splane and Dave Dunbar would be proud of you also!! Keep up the good work this week, and I'll do the same, with your blog as encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! Keep up the great job! "One pound at a time."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! Keep up the great job! "One pound at a time."

    ReplyDelete