Sunday, August 25, 2013

Part 7 - Butter Is Not The Enemy!

     I know, I know, for somebody that is going down this journey to make a statement like "butter is not the enemy" seems preposterous.  In fact, that statement's meaning is two-fold in regards to this week's post.  I will get to that shortly but now it is time for this week's numbers.  After stepping on the scale this week, here is what I saw...
     I was once again pleased to see that the number has gone down.  That means that I have shaved off 3 more of those pesky pounds making the grand total 112 life-sucking pounds.  I am sure that some of you out there reading this blog weigh about this much.  Imagine, if you will, that I have basically lost your entire body weight a weight that I have carried with me every day.  I don't say that to brag (well maybe a little) but to show you that if I, a guy that has tried losing weight multiple times and failed, could succeed then anybody can.  
     This week has had many ups and downs.  I have found myself lacking motivation to write this post so I figured it was time to reevaluate myself.  Take some mental inventory if you will.  I have found that if I do this every couple of weeks, it helps to keep me grounded and focused.  After really taking a good look at myself, I found that even though I am succeeding in losing the pounds, I am not satisfied with my weekly progress.  For the first time in my life I have discovered a hunger that isn't food related.  I have become hungry for success.  I want to do better and better.  I realized this not because I was greedy to lose more weight but because I came to the conclusion that I was growing complacent.  I was getting set into a rhythm that was allowing me to succeed by "just getting by" rather than pushing myself to my full potential.  
     This brings me to the first meaning of "butter is not the enemy".  When people "diet" or try eating healthier one of the first things they do is cut out all "bad" items such as butter.  We as intelligent beings actually vilify items of food.  I have done this many times myself and I see it almost 100% of the time with others either trying to lose weight or offer advice on losing weight.  I have come to terms with the fact that foods like butter are not evil and when used responsibly can be a nice addition to your diet.  They can add flavor to several dishes and offer some nutritional value that we need.  Butter contains fats. Believe it or not, our bodies need fats to function. Fat is essential for organ function, vitamin absorption, healthy skin, hair and nails, and hormone regulation, among other things. Fat also increases satiety, so you stay fuller longer.  The saturated fat found in dairy (milk, butter, cheese, etc.) has vitamins A, E, and K, as well as a multitude of trace vitamins & minerals. Saturated fat is required to make calcium in milk bio-available so that it can be assimilated into the body and it tempers blood sugar spikes from carbs.  Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying we all should eat butter sandwiches and wash them down with a warm mug of drawn butter, but don't fear the butter.  Turn an enemy into a friend and use the butter to help you succeed.
     "Success breeds complacency.  Complacency breeds failure.  Only the paranoid survive."- Andy Grove
     I really like this quote because it reminds me to never bask in my success.  I must be paranoid to survive.  By this I mean that I must not let my life become routine and get in the habit of taking short cuts.  Nor should I ever give up because the journey seems too difficult.  Today is my mother's birthday and although I know that it will be a difficult emotional day, I can hear her speaking words of wisdom as if she were still here.  I would like to share a story that my mother as passed on to us as it was passed to her.  I have seen other versions but this is how I remember it from her...
 One day, two frogs were enjoying the day in the barn when they accidentally fell into the farmer's bucket of cream, and they couldn't get out. The two frogs kept swimming around to keep from drowning, and every once in a while they would try to climb out, but this was becoming very tiring.

One frog kept saying, "This is useless, we should just give up." But the other frog just ignored the comment and kept swimming. Finally, the pessimistic frog gave up and drowned. The other frog was sad at the loss of his friend, but he wasn't going to give up. He kept swimming and swimming, and, finally, the cream turned into butter and the frog simply climbed out.

This story shows us that even if we stumble and others try to pull us down, we have got to keep on swimming because, eventually, the cream will turn into butter and we'll make it out of the pail.

     So, it is with this thought that I again say, BUTTER IS NOT THE ENEMY!  No matter whether you find yourself discouraged, plateaued, hopeless, or in my personal case, complacent, never quit swimming.  Your next kick could be the one that makes the butter and remember, butter can save your life.
     I will finish this week's post with a delicious recipe that I got from my aunt, who is also a Weight Watcher.  It takes a little time to make but it makes 8-10 servings that freeze well.  I portion it out and take them for lunches at work.  You can tweak the recipe for your own tastes but this is the base.  I personally like to add a jalapeno to spice it up.  Here it is...let me know what you think.

Chicken Fajita Soup -


2 - Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts (roughly 3 oz each) - 6 points total - WWPF
2 - Cups Chopped Carrots - 0 points - WWPF
2 - Cloves Minced Garlic - 0 points
1 - Large Onion Chopped - 0 points - WWPF
2 - Cups Chopped Celery - 0 points - WWPF
2 - Large Green Peppers Chopped - 0 points - WWPF
8 - Cups Water - 0 points
6-8 - Chicken Bouillon Cubes - depending on taste - 3 points total
1 - Pkg Old El Paso Taco Seasoning (or Fajita) - 0 points
1 - 8.5oz Pkg Uncle Ben’s Brown Basmati Ready Rice - 12 points total
1 - 14oz Can Hunt’s Fire Roasted Tomatoes - 0 points - WWPF
1 - 15oz Can Black Beans - rinsed - 6 points total
1 - Lime - 0 points - WWPF
2 - Tbsp Olive Oil - 6 points total
Salt and Pepper to taste - 0 points
Fat Free Sour Cream - small dollop - 1 point for 2 tbsp

*WWPF - Weight Watchers Power Food

Cube chicken into bite size pieces.  Heat soup pot and add the olive oil.  Brown chicken slightly.  Add carrots, onion, celery, green pepper, garlic and taco seasoning.  Cook until slightly softened.  Add bouillon to water and microwave to boil.  Dissolve bouillon in water to make broth.  Add tomatoes to chicken and veggie mix.  Add broth to mixture and turn heat to medium-low.  Simmer for 20 – 30 minutes until everything is cooked.  Add black beans and rice and heat through.  Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste.  Add the juice of 1 lime to brighten the flavors and serve.  Garnish with a small dollop of fat free sour cream.  Makes 8 – 10 servings and freezes nicely for lunches.

Total Weight Watchers Points – 33 for the whole pot, roughly 4 points per servings or 5 with the sour cream.
     
     With that I will conclude this week's post.  As always, I would like to thank each and every person that reads this blog and lends me their support.  I am humbled to know that you are all behind me.  I could not have accomplished this with out the support and love from you all.  VIVE LA FAT REVOLUTION!!!  God bless you all.  To be continued...


2 comments:

  1. Hey Bud, just letting ya know im still reading these and sharing them seeing as how Im no longer on FB because I literally never used it anymore I wanted you to know I was still catching up and reading this. ''Butter is not the enemy'' .. mike I can say that quote along with the story of the 2 frogs can really play into a lot of other areas in life.. dude.. your doing awesome.. kicking ass,, taking names, and im pleased to call you my brother.. keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete