Saturday, July 20, 2013

Part 2 - Baby Steps

Hello and welcome to Part 2 of The Rendering.  I cannot express in words my heartfelt gratitude to all of you that took the time to read my words and embark on this journey of life with me.  I was humbled by all of your kind words and support, and it was truly needed this week.  Allow me to start with an update.  While I did not make huge strides this week I am happy to report I am now weighing in at 583lbs. down 1lb. more than I was before.  As I mentioned in my last post, some weeks will be better than others but even with baby steps you get to where you have your eyes set upon.  I have not strayed from my regimen of healthy eating so much this week but I have been dealing with an ever-fun leg infection and extreme sickness due to the heat.  Both of these cause me to retain fluid.  On a good note though the leg infection seems to be resolved and the weather is cooling down. I took a waist measurement that I will post to also keep track of progress.  My waist measures 74" so I will be happily anticipating watching that number shrink as I succeed.  So I did not have any questions posed to me this week so I thought about what I wanted to share.  Then I thought about the baby steps that I took toward my goal and read this...
 This is truly how I feel but not only do I want to inspire people battling with their own weight issues but perhaps inspire those that helped lead me or others to weight issues to change for the better.  I feel I should explain a bit.  I want to first say that I don't want this to be seen as an excuse or not taking responsibility for my own actions. In the end it was me that made the poor decisions and me that took the actions or lack there of that led to me being 674lbs. but there were many contributing factors that I will share over the coming weeks.  This weekend was a gathering of the Owego Free Academy class of 1993.  It was to celebrate our 20-year reunion.  I would see reminders constantly and it made me think, as an experience in whole, I hated almost everything about my schooling.  Not because of the work, I always have enjoyed learning as much as I could.  I didn't even mind the teachers, although at this point in life I should call them saints for trying to deal with me and my lack of homework...lol(yes, I liked learning but hated doing homework yet another STUPID decision I know).  The thing that made it such a miserable experience was the way most of the people treated me.  It is a very hard thing to be the "fat kid" going through school.  I was already on my way to having weight issues but other kids can be cruel.  Again, this is not an excuse but a fact.  Perhaps it is hard to understand how hurtful it is when you walk across a classroom to a chorus of "boom badda boom" with every footstep you take or for several of your classmates to watch you as you sit down and then they all jump up as if you caused an earthquake.  I wished I could say all of the childish taunting ended as we got older but it didn't.  In fact it got worse.  There was the "poke the fat" game just to watch me jiggle, or the trip the fat guy, or steal his clothes.  In gym class I was always a target especially in dodge ball, which by the way also seemed to require the yelling of a fat joke just before pelting me with that fun rubber ball.  That was just a sampling of the hell I went through and I couldn't even think about asking a girl out.  Rejection was bad enough, but the few attempts I did make during high school resulted in not only me being mocked but also the girl I had asked had to deal with the cruel jabs.  This generally resulted in the very girl I liked turning on me, but she would kindly say the insults in hushed tones behind my back or so she thought.  Well for me food was comforting.  I would turn all of my pain inward and when I got home I would find my favorite treats and a comfy seat and eat the pain away.  Now, don't get me wrong, not all of my classmates were like this but a majority of them were.  Even those that I considered friends would occasionally join in just to "belong".  I chose to deal with these issues poorly and I hope that anyone who reads this learns that you do have other options and that there are people that will support you.  Food is comforting in the short run but it can cause more pain than it will ever comfort.  Today this would be called "bullying" in schools but back in my day it was just what happened and I do not feel like a helpless victim.  I only mention this to share some of the reasons why I abused food looking for comfort.  While I do fully support freedom of speech, perhaps if even one person reads this part of my story they may think twice before saying a hurtful remark or engaging in a hurtful action.  Whatever point of view you see this from; this was just an experience of mine.  I have never really publicly admitted to holding onto that pain for so long and I am now letting that go and making wiser decisions.  That was this weeks story from my past now let's pop back to the present.  This week I will be starting my formal exercise routine.  I must, of course, start light, as my body is not accustomed to a large amount of strenuous activity but again, baby steps lead to full-on runs.  I will be taking walks and doing a "chair" workout.  I will also be lifting weights.  If anybody has any questions about any part of my life, please, I encourage you to ask.  There is no subject off limits.  One of my dreams is to change the way people view obesity.  I will end with this, I have told you about the amazing support I have gotten from my friends and family.  I have also spoken about the amazing support I have received from all who read this blog.  I would like to thank the management team at my place of employment, SourceHOV.  I have been employed with them for over seven years.  Due to numerous medical issues related to my obesity I have been a less than stellar employee in regards to attendance.  I used to pride myself on being a great employee and I have not been able to live up to my own expectations.  The management team has been phenomenal about working with me and helping me out.  I do not believe that I could find employment in my current state anywhere else so it means a great deal that they are so supportive.  I have also received words of encouragement and support on this journey from them.  They have been great and I sincerely thank them all.  I will leave this week's post with this thought...Any dream worth having is a dream worth fighting for.  Thank you again for your support and God bless you all. To be continue....

12 comments:

  1. Mike, it saddens me to hear the torture you went through as a child. I was always thin in school, but gained weight in my adulthood. I was considered "fat" and I was many times the target of jokes etc. Even my "friends" at work made their jokes on a regular basis. I laughed along with their jokes, but inside it really really hurt. No, not to the same level, extent or amount of time that you have had to deal with it. But just experiencing it in some way myself, makes me feel for you even more.
    I think you are on the right track. You can help yourself get healthy, and help others too. And as you said, maybe you can let people know how the bullying hurts and help stop it. Obesity is on the rise in this country and so is bullying. So, you can only do good in this regards.

    Stay Strong!

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. i remember what it was like to get bullied in school, not for being fat because i was actually quite thin but for being weird and ugly. my first year in school which was in first grade i was spat on in school and on the bus, i also had wads of tape stuck in my hair... my senior year was almost exactly the same, i was spat on, had pennies and tampons and wads of gum thrown at me... school was a horrible place for me, and while i also agree with freedom of speech, nothing these kids did would have classified as "freedom of speech"... kids can be mean and nasty and im so sorry for what you had to put up with, all we can pray for is that those kids that acted like that have now grown up and seen the error of their ways... you are an amazing writer and and amazing person, im so glad that you are leading us all on this journey with you! we are so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bullying is horrible! When I was a sophomore there was a senior who lit strands of my hair on fire while we were riding the school bus. Not a lot-just strand by strand, but not one "friend" that was sitting near me told her to stop! May we all teach our children lessons based on our experiences!! Great job, Mike. Thank you! <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel your pain, I had a horrible school life. I was picked on all through school. My classmates at one time actually told me to die. On another note, what kind of diet are you on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to see you sticking to your guns, Michael! So proud of you. I was never bullied in school. Well, once for a few weeks, but nothing major. I do remember a few kids that were though, and your story makes me so sad and I wish I had stood up for the bullied kids more. One of my friends from elementary school was bullied a lot. I didn't stand up for her when the other kids bullied her though, because I was afraid. Shortly after I left that school, I was riding the bus to my new school when it was announced on the radio that she had been killed. She was riding her bike home from school and was hit and killed by a vehicle. I felt so awful and always regretted that I wasn't there for her more. Hopefully, as you said, someone will read this post and have a heart change. Don't ever give up, Michael!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work Mike! Its smart to track the inches, they will decrease faster than the pounds!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mike, Congratulations on making this committment. It is a big step. I have lost and gained several times over the years, and getting the motivation to start again is sometimes the hardest part. I would like to know what you are eating. Is it mostly protein? I feel like I am in a rut and you are inspiring me to get out of it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you having weight loss surgery? I'm considering it for myself and was curious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mike, I am so happy that you are taking the steps in the right direction to secure a healthy future for yourself. Good luck and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Hey!! I've done this before. It really works. I will have to look it up again. Thanks for the reminder. =)

      Delete
  11. Mike, I too was bullied in school, I think the worst came when my own cousin joined them. I am starting to go through my own transformation myself,I am going for the lap band surgery to help me lose weight. I too have health issues that I can not ignore anymore. I lost my mom almost 2 years ago to Alzheimer's, but she also had diabetes and high blood pressure due to her weight. thank you for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete