Sunday, July 14, 2013

Part 1 - Welcome to the Beginning

You are going to die...words that can shake you to your very core....words that were spoken to me this past June by my doctor....words that are changing my life...

Let me introduce myself for any that may have come here and don't know me...my name is Michael Manzer....I am 38 years old and I am...well...to be blunt I am fat, large, heavy, big boned, rotund, robust, round and many other adjectives...I don't say these words to be self-deprecating but I acknowledge them because they are true and honest...look for yourself...

 

See, I wasn't kidding I am 6'3.5" and I weighed 674lbs. when the doctor shared this prediction with me.  My BMI(body mass index) was at an astronomical 81.95 and my blood pressure was at 142/100.  I am technically labeled "Super Morbidly Obese" and I could continue to list all of the maladies that accompany such a prestigious title but I can save that for another blog.  I can't explain why this time the doctor's words finally sunk in but they did.  I have tried before to change my lifestyle on many occasions with little to no success but this time I am determined to be successful.  As of this past Wednesday, I now currently weigh in at 584lbs., a full 90lbs. lighter.  I have been keeping updates posting on Facebook and I have been receiving massive amounts of support from family and friends.  I also have been receiving many questions as to how I am making it all work this time.  So I took a suggestion from a friend and have created this blog.  I am going to do a new posting every Sunday giving updates and sharing bits of my journey.  I will add pics so you all can see my progress.  Now, while I look forward to your comments and questions I would ask kindly that we keep this posting a place of positivity.  I encourage freedom of speech but I say please think before posting ignorant comments.  It is my intention to not only make this a post about my progress but to be able to help people who struggle with weight issues by offering encouragement and tips that I have found and am finding useful.  My other goal is to make this a completely free and open forum where anybody can ask me a question about any facet of my life or how it is to live a life as an obese man.  I have found that many people don't comprehend the day to day struggles that obesity causes and I have found that most of the cruel comments that come from people are based in ignorance of what it is like.  I am on my way to success but I am by far not even near the finish line.  I have changed my lifestyle drastically but it is a day to day struggle.  There will be weeks when I am not able to say I lost weight or even that I might have to admit to gaining some, but one of the first lessons I had to embrace was this, it isn't the falling down that matters, it is the ability to dust off and plod forward with your chin up and your eyes on the prize.  Over the coming weeks I would love to see people's thoughts and encouragement.  I will be sharing stories about my growing up and things that I think contributed to making me what I am today.  I will share stories of my family and especially of my Mom who sadly lost her battle with obesity this past February.  Her story is one that has helped to motivate me in this battle I face.  I gladly will answer any questions about my medical issues due to my obesity and how I am working on correcting them.  I will share my goals and dreams and what I hope to become.  I leave you this week with a thought that I have adopted to help me.  You can not succeed and hope that others will love you if you can't love yourself.  I have started to love me for me again and it has given me a whole new outlook on life.  I hope you all stick with me through this journey and I thank you all for your support.  Stay tuned because "The Rendering" is bound to be an interesting and life changing trip...God bless you all...to be continued... 

22 comments:

  1. Very inspirational Mike and I commend you on bring brave enough to share what is like to be obese and the courage to publicly display your feelings! I will look forward to your weekly posts and I have faith that this time you will succeed! Hugs :) Oh, and you're a great writer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job keep up the good work..i am waiting on insurance approval should have my surgery in a couple weeks. Prayers are with you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic, Mike! I feel like you and I are on this journey together and I couldn't be happier about that. Thank you for starting this to show others like us that we are not alone. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So proud of you Mike. I hope we can all use your moms journey to motivate us to become healthy. I hope to walk through this with you and maybe even learn something about myself and why losing weight is so hard for me. I am here to encourage, to love and to support you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blog posting brought tears to my eyes. Congrats on your progress already and I will keep you in my prayers as you go on this journey. Thank you for sharing your story and I know you will be an incredible motivation to many :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great Mike, a valuable tool for you as well as others. I am with you 100%!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just an AMAZING story of your courage and dedication to your health. I truly wish you the best and will keep reading your blog! I too have suffered with weight my entire life and reading this will help keep me focused as well. I thank you for your honesty and how you are caring for others in this weight battle. Keep focused Mike, you CAN and WILL do this!!!! God Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So proud of you, Micheal. I have heard so much about you from your sister, I feel like I know you. I look forward to reading your blogs and I am praying for you. =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. mike, you are a very gifted writer! im so happy that you have decided to both get healthy AND share your journey for others. mike and i are better people for knowing you and we love you, and so do your god children! we all want you to be around for a very long time and are so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We will always be there by your side for the good time and the bad. Your momma will always be there for you. As your dad I can tell you this that I am very proud of you for doing this and momma and I have always love you and always will. We are here for you 100% plus.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mike
    I cannot put into words how proud of you I am! Your honest and gripping words have touched me yet again. I was honesty crying when I read this blog. I've have seen first hand your struggles , your triumphs, and your determination and I can honestly say , that I've never seen or heard you be so dedicated and positive. It wasn't all that long ago when you were posting on FB that you were not sure what your future held fot you . It scared me to hear you speak like that . And to look at your complete turn around now is nothing less than astonishing! You have so very much to live for and so much to offer to others and yourself and it's so awesome to finally hear you accept that !! You are one of my oldest and closest friends and I'm so happy for you. I know you can reach and achieve your goals and if you ever need to talk or need words of encouragement.. I'll be right by your side .. as I have always been . You got this man ! Love always Dan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mike - I applaud your determination and your resolve. Your blog was very eloquent and well written, your bravery to be commended. My prayer is that you will not only reach your own personal goals, but that your journey will help others along the way. God bless you and many prayers are going up for you. Philippians 4:13.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am here for you MIke and following along...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mike, this is great. I can tell you are in this for the duration. Praying and rooting for you.
    Dave Dunbar

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great job so far! Keep going Mike, you can do this. I'll be following along and rooting for you:) Mary Toedtman

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is not an easy task, I have been there all my life.
    I've lost and gained back, seems hopeless at times and then we get down on ourselves. were embarrassed to go out and be seen by old friends etc. but we never change our personality. we accept people more openly then most people but that is we can identify we all types. Mike you are an inspiration to all of us who are fighting this never ending battle. thanks for the hope and our prayers are with you

    ReplyDelete
  17. How remarkable! I will follow you on your journey with support and prayers. You can do this!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mike, I'm so proud of you and what you're accomplishing. You're an amazing inspiration and I wish you the best! Keep up the good work brother!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm in Mike. You've convinced me to get back into shape. I'll be following you ;) so keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just say these words often during the day - "I AM IMPORTANT!" Make yourself a project this year. So proud of you! You can do it. It takes work and changing 38 years of bad eating habits so, it won't happen overnight. If you slip during one part of a day, SO BE IT! Let it go. What you do NEXT is what's important! I'm speaking from experience as a weight loss winner. So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete